Rebuild or Remodel
If you are looking to make major changes to your bathroom, there are two ways to go. Rebuild or Remodel. But which one is best? This article will review your choices so you can make a smart decision.
Weighing Your Option
Here are some key points to consider when trying to decide between to rebuild or remodel:
- Costs: If the project is properly planned and the home has a solid structure, a remodel will be a less expensive option when considering upfront costs. However, a remodel can add up to more long-term expenses as the contractor will likely need to make regular maintenance visits.
- Longevity: Demolishing and rebuilding typically lasts longer than a remodel.
- Project Duration: A demolish and rebuild tends to take longer than a remodel, but this can vary depending on how extensive the remodel is.
- Livable During Construction: You will not have access to your bathroom during a demo and rebuild. You may or may not have access during a remodel. This will especially be a factor if you only have a few bathrooms in your home.
- Breathing Issues. A demolition makes the air inside the home unhealthy negatively affecting the respiratory system. However, you can improve air quality with proper ventilation.
- Home is Historically Significant: If the home is historically significant, renovation may be the only option. Demolition will detract from the home’s historical value. It may also not be permitted by the government.
- Warranties: While both renovations and new construction come with warranties, you will almost always get a better warranty on a home that’s been demolished and rebuilt.
- Reselling: It’s vital that the work you have done is good, quality work. If not, you will have issues, especially when you sell.
- While both a renovation and a rebuild can have their share of issues, they will be more likely to occur during a remodel. When you start from the ground up with a rebuild, you will have fewer existing fixtures to work around and more assurance of a high-quality result.
- Brand New or Old Bones: If you like the structure of your home and bathroom, you may not want to completely change it with a demo.
Things to Consider
Here are some things to consider before you decide on how you want to handle your bathrooms major changes.
- Get an Inspection: Get an inspection before you decide on anything. If the inspector finds the home is not in good condition structurally, you are better off with a demolition.
- Plan Carefully: Planning will make all the difference in the success of your project. It’s especially critical in a renovation. If you don’t have a lot of time to plan, a demo and rebuild may be the way to go.
- We can’t tell you which option is best for your bathroom, but we can tell you that Grout Experts will be there every step of the way no matter what you decide.
- Grout Experts can do a complete bathroom demo if that’s the route you choose to take. If you prefer a remodel, we can help you with things like regrouting, retiling and tub refinishing. Call us to find out how we can help you make your home look terrific.
Looking for more ideas about remodeling your bathroom? Check out this article from Better Homes and Gardens